Monday, December 1, 2008

Hockey is good

Paul Kukla has made an interesting proposal: make today Hockey Talk Day, a day filled with nothing but feel good hockey stories. Since I enjoy reading his work and since I think it's a good idea, below is my entry and I encourage all bloggers and all non-bloggers to participate.

Whether it's through watching hockey, playing hockey, or talking hockey, this sport builds relationships, both serious and casual. And that's one of the things I love about hockey and the blogosphere.

Nothing's more fun than the people you meet at hockey games. There are countless ways to bond at hockey games; talking about your how your team should sign this guy instead of that guy, coordinating chants and cheers, booing bad calls, complaining about the price of arena food and drinks. You never know who you're going to be sitting next to and what adventure it might lead to. I've had the entire range of people - from the bored teen girl who texts for the half of the game she's there to the drunk guy who spends the whole game coming up with insults to scream at the opposing team. Once, when the Wild were taking on the Phoenix Coyotes, a fan was yelling insults at coach Wayne Gretzky. After a few minutes, a man sitting a few rows ahead of me stood up and started screaming back. His screaming included something along the lines of, "Do you know who I am? I'm Marty McSorley." It was one of the more interesting almost fights I've seen in the stands of a hockey game.

But I've also built up some close relationships with fellow bloggers. Through the Wild blogosphere, hockey blogosphere, and HLOG, I've met people who I enjoy talking to on a daily basis and, in some cases, have become friends with outside of the hockey world. And one reason this can happen is because hockey fans and bloggers are some of the smartest, nicest people you will meet. It's amazing the amount of intelligent conversation spread across the massive and ever-growing hockey blogosphere. When I first started this blog, I was immediately accepted by the community and was never doubted on the basis of my gender or age. While it's obviously impossible to meet and interact with every hockey blogger, I wish I could.

And hockey has been a big part of my relationships with my friends, even those who aren't hockey fans. For my non-hockey loving friends, they know it's part of who I am - I was voted biggest sports fan in our senior poll. But they accept it and some of them have even accepted hockey into their lives. And one of my best friends, Kelsey (who has made many appearances on this blog), and I strengthened our friendship due to hockey. We stared becoming friends our sophomore year, but we really became best friends after going to our first hockey game together. Now we spend half of our time talking hockey or watching hockey and our brains have pretty much synched themselves.

Hockey fosters relationships and community, something I've been taught to respect since I was a tot. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. Hockey gives people something to start a conversation about and build relationships around. Like Kukla said, hockey is full of good, and that good deserves to be shown.

----------------

Check out my preview for the Wild-Avs game tonight over on the Versus website.

----------------

Apparently my push to keep Mikko Koivu as captain for an unprecedented third month didn't work. D-man Kim Johnsson received the C for the month of December.

BallHype: hype it up!

7 comments:

Jibblescribbits said...

When you write something nice like that it's really hard to gloat about last night's win...

Ok it's not that hard but I definitely feel more guilt over gloating.

Cortney said...

Awwwwww, hockey really is amazing!

Still sad we lost last night...

elise said...

jibble - Yesterday was a disaster, our defense went MIA. Have fun gloating now, there are plenty more meetings between us this season.

cortney - It was sad, which is why I avoided posting; felt like I shouldn't ruin the feel good.

Anonymous said...

Let hope we get a win tonight

elise said...

anonymous - A win would be spectacular. Hopefully the boys will bounce back tonight after that pathetic effort against the Avs.

Kirsten said...

This is a sign. Mikko Koivu should always be the captain.

Anonymous said...

reverse phone lookup